Search

Follow Redwood Coast Chamber: Sonoma to Mendocino on:

Ocean Cove


Ocean Cove Store

Diving at Ocean Cove

Ocean Cove was first surveyed by J.C. Conway under instructions from the US Surveyor General on October 18, 1860. It then bordered the southern edge of Rancho German which is now Salt Point Park. At that time the property was owned by Fred and Anna Liebig, the first recorded owners. The Liebigs had built the first home there in 1857 and they established a small store in 1860.

The property was purchased by W.J. Walsh on October 14, 1889. Mr. Walsh named it Walsh Landing. Timber was harvested in the surrounding area, then loaded from the bluffs onto "Dog Hole" schooners, and sent to San Francisco. The Columbia Movie Studio purchased the property in the early 1930s to make a movie. They built six cabins in back of the store to serve as living quarters. After the movie was completed they sold the property.

Today the cove and surrounding land is privately owned with the owners operating a campground with access to divers and other ocean enthusiasts and the store that provides groceries, firewood and sundries for campers and divers and has gas pumps. The Ocean Cove Zip Code is 95450 as mail is routed up the Coast Highway 1 from Jenner.

GTranslate